Drill bits are tools used in making cylindrical holes. Various types of drill bits are designed for different uses.
Drill bits are equipments or tools that are used in making cylindrical holes. Drill bits can also be referred to as a drilling machine. Drill bits are available in various drill types such as metal drills, gun drills, screw machine drills, core drills, step drills, spade drills, forstner drills, masonry drills, dental or surgical drills, wood bits, twist drills, drill blank taper drills and much more.
They are designed to cut while doing a clockwise rotating motion. Several drill bits are coolant fed. They contain a channel or hole for directing the coolant fed near to the cutting edges. The split point drill heads of drill bits are used for chip clearance and for excellent centering. Drill bits can also be used in cutting aluminum, general-purpose metals, brass, copper, bronze, ceramic, and plastic, stainless steel, steel, wood, titanium and hardened materials. Various types of drill bits are designed for different uses.
Listed below are some types of Drill Bits.
Twist Drill: It drills holes in plastic, metal and wood. This drill is currently produced with a width covering a range from 0.05 millimeters to 100 millimeters while its length is around 1000 millimeters. The most usual twist drill has a tip angle of 118 degrees. This is a proper angle for an extensive array of job. It also has a long series drill for extended length twist drills. It is not advisable to drill deep holes using this twist drill.
Diamond Drill Bit: This particular drill is used in the bathroom for updating or remodeling. It is also used in redesigning your kitchen decoration. Furthermore, it is used on ceramic, glass, tile, limestone, stained glass, marble, fiberglass, porcelain, stone, slate and porcelain tile. When using this drill, the main concern is to obtain water at the edge of the drill bit. Drilling fiberglass may be done with or without water but make sure that the fiberglass has ample amount of water just to get the drill wet.
Indexable Drill Bit: This provides an excellent performance in making short-hole drillings. Stainless steel is drilled 3x in diameter and only a short-hole must be done.
Listed below are some other types of drill bits
• Adjustable Bit: This is built with a changeable cutter blade to bore holes of various sizes. It is also used for drilling gaps for wiring or piping.
• Around-the-corner bit: It is used to cut arched holes that are stretched in corners with a diagonal cutting surface.
• Auger Bits: This drill creates drill holes in wooden materials. The drill ends have a screw head so that the bits may be self fed.
• Brad-point drill: This drill looks almost the same as the usual bits but it has sharpened point to make wood drilling a lot easier. This drill has cleaner holes other than spade bits.
• Counterbore: The drill allows a screw to be driven under the wood outside. The holes that are drilled may be filled with a plug or wire.
• Drill Saw Bit: It is used to cut holes such as wood and metal and can enlarge current holes.
• Countersink: A drill that has an angled tip design that forms a "slump" in the screw head.
• Fly cutter: This one is often used to cut circles in wood and other soft metals. The diameter of circles may be adjusted by changing the cutter blade setting.
• Hole saw: It cut holes from one to six centimeters in diameter and has a center bit for directing the cutting blade edge of the saw.
• Reamer bit: The tapered bit of reamer may be used on existing holes rather than to enlarge holes.
• Screw pilot bit: This beautiful bit is used for drilling body holes. A pilot hole is used along with the countersink.
• Wire Brushes: It use to remove rust and to clean up metal and is available either as a wheel or a cup with wire brush.
• Plastic bit: This is designed with a tip so as to prevent splintering when drilling plastic. It is important to reduce the speed and slowly drill the other side of the plastic.
• Plug cutter: Use this to remove cylindrical shapes from the wood. It covers the screw using a small cylindrical plug.